Yet to be Named.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginning...

Go down

Beginning... Empty Beginning...

Post  Admin Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:58 pm

As a result of the Educating Midwives session at MT Conference in Eugene this group has been created virtually and will hopefully take form in the physical realm over the next few months. Exciting Smile

My understanding of the purpose for creating this group is to improve standards, pathways to entry, and accountability for those "called" to birth work, most often called "midwives". The group (council/coalition/federation/ whatever) as I understand it enters into existence consciously leaving behind any sort of descriptive term (nurse,lay,license,direct-entry) before the word midwife as this division does not necessarily serve the next/future generation of midwives.

In terms of a name... I would like to propose we all hold the entire group accountable for participation and decision making processes rather than relying on a "leader". I will start a thread in which folks can contribute their opinions about an appropriate name for this collaboration as well as some other

Collective/ collaborative/ inclusive are words I see as very important to the formation of this group. All of the issues the group will explore in my opinion must be inclusive. We need to acknowledge issues such as barriers to midwifery for women of color/ lower economic brackets, issues of gender/ birth work, culturally appropriate care and training, etc. These issues are equally relevant in my mind to the creation of a Student's Bill of rights (one of the things discussed in the MT session in Eugene).

If you can think of a better way to connect other than a forum just suggest it. This was free so it seemed like a good idea for now.

On a personal level I am evaluating the word "midwife" critically- what it means in the broader sense, and to me- but for now I do see it as an effective word for the forum/group. On another personal level, I am very busy with SQUAT and would love for someone else to take on the role of admin. I am currently logged in as an Admin and have made a simple password linked to SQUAT's email to create the forum. This can be easily changed and transferred. Please send me an email to squattingbirth at gmail dot com if you would like to take over the admin position. If a few people do we can do a poll or something. There can be multiple (unlimited) i believe moderators. Another great idea Kate had was to start a Facebook group soon to get people interested so feel free to direct anyone to this forum to contribute (takers on that project?)

Alright, I look forward to everyone taking the symbolic reigns and contributing their opinions, starting threads for consideration and brainstorming first steps to take as group.

In solidarity,
Jeramie Peacock
Editor, SQUAT Birth Journal

Admin
Admin

https://wearefuturemidwives.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum